Wednesday 28 August 2013

A washi-ed Rooster

I bought a Recollections stack full of chickens, roosters, and all things French last spring. Here's one of the cards I quickly pulled together from that stack and a little washi tape from Tim Holtz:

The 6x6 inch base and the 4x4 mat were quickly sliced into shape with a paper cutter but the rooster required fussy cutting. Yes, I actually fussy cut sometimes... but not much and not with pleasure. Unfortunately, this fella didn't stand out much on the black background of his original paper (see the bit left between his feet) and so needed to be set free.


The mat was inked at the edges and then attached the card base using washi tape, leaving a space on the top to slip a simple tag behind Mr. Rooster.

The tag and its backing were also fussy cut, but only because they had curved corners.
The tag and backing were glued together with the ends of a black ribbon bow between them. This bow allows the tag to be pulled up from its pocket without bending the tag. Although I don't show it here, the tag reverse has faint lines that are perfect for journalling.

I like how this card is masculine yet family-oriented, and how the tag can be recycled into a bookmark. With the right sentiment inside, it could be a wonderful Father's Day card.

If you like this card, keep your eye open for more creations from that stack, or better yet, hear about them as they're posted by joining me at the right. You'll also want to check out the creations at "Less Is More"! Go give 'em some love!

4 comments:

  1. Although there's not a lot of white space, this looks simply fab, I love chickens!
    Thanks so much
    Chrissie
    "Less is More"
    We'd love it if you could remove the WOrd Verification from your blog, it took me several goes before I could decipher the dreadful letters!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for your comment, Chrissie! I've only recently begun entering challenges so now comment verification is turned off. I agree that there isn't much actual white on this project - technically none as the mat is cream coloured - but white space as a concept to me means uncluttered space regardless of colour. You'll find MUCH of that on the majority of my creations! :)

      Glad you love chickens too! I posted another rooster card last night and have photos for three more tomorrow. Check back or follow by email... hopefully you'll see more you like.

      Delete
  2. Fabulous card... Love how you used the washi. Thanks for joining us
    Jen x
    "Less Is More"

    ReplyDelete
  3. Way to make the fussy cutting pay off - both rooster and tag. Great use of washi tape too. Thanks for joining us this week at Shopping Our Stash!

    ReplyDelete