Sunday 25 August 2013

Car Rally Thank You Cards

My church holds a community car rally each summer. This year, I was asked to make 50 thank-you cards to help show our appreciation to all the participants. Not a problem, right? How about having less than a week to complete this project? Yeppers - planning this project suddenly became important because I am not the kind of gal who backs down from a challenge. So here's the lot of cars, ahem, cards:

Yes, there really are 50 of them! Having to do so many in such a short period of time meant that I needed to consult my go-to source of shaped-card inspiration... Silhouette. If you've read some of my previous posts, you'll already know that I totally {heart} my Silhouette Cameo. You'll also know that I very rarely use a design as presented... this is a close-up of the final product:

I cut the card base from Samantha Walker's Classic Car Card shape, and made a couple of tweeks to the car shape, like adding the fins and cutting out the wheel wells. The ability to customize a 'factory' shape to my specific needs is a big part of the reason why I selected Silhouette for my electronic cutting. And y'all know how much I {totally don't} love fussy cutting.

The tires were inked on the base, then the car body (cut from cardstock) attached on top.

The sentiment on the front was cut, then inked with a platinum metallic ink to give it some shine. Even though you can't see it well here, it was subtly sparkly - pretty but not so pretty that a guy would be offended.

The inside of the card was uber-simple, with a basic thank you stamp.

You can also see how the front of the car is cut in order to present a 3D effect with the windows, front vents and tires.

As a final touch, I added this stamp to the back of the card. It fit perfectly!

The annual car rally depends on the participation of both church and community members to be a success, and so this added touch hopefully expressed our gratitude. After all, when you think about the hours and hours that go into restoring a classic, and then babying it in preparation for display... well, that deserves a personal touch!

So what do you think... should I start whipping up a batch of these for next year too, or do you have any other suggestions to show appreciation to the car guys and gals who make this event a success? I've already committed... LOL!

Check out Silhouette Challenges for more shaped cards inspiration.

Update (added August 28): Thanks to the gals at Paper Nest Dolls Challenge for selecting shaped cards as their challenge theme. Go tell 'em hello and be ready to be inspired.

6 comments:

  1. Those are ADORABLE Cards! Lots of work on your part! But I'm sure will be appreciated! :o) Thanks so much for joining us over at the Silhouette Challenges! :o)

    Theresa (silhouette Challenge DT)
    www.miislucky.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  2. Super job on the car. Thanks for joining us at SIlhouette Challenges

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wow...fab job!! A serious number of cars!! Thanks for playing along with us at Silhouette Challenges!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Soooo cute! Love it!!!

    Thank you for joining our Shaped cards Challenge at The Paper Nest Dolls.
    Jasmina DT PND

    ReplyDelete
  5. Awesome shaped card.
    Thanks for sharing with us at Creative Craft Challenges.
    xxx

    ReplyDelete
  6. Love it! It's fun to see them all "parked" there on your carpet...so many different colors!

    ReplyDelete